Re: dramatic slowdown. . .fixed by vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Joe Slag
Subject Re: dramatic slowdown. . .fixed by vacuum
Date
Re: Re: dramatic slowdown. . .fixed by vacuum
List pgsql-novice
On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 12:36:35PM -0700, WOLF, PATRICK wrote:
> Try running vacuum on the table or the database.  Here's an excerpt from the
> man on vacuum:

[snip]

Thanks to all who responded.  I vacuumed out foo, and sure enough
the select time is down to 10 seconds again.

I see in the docs the suggestion:

    We recommend that active production databases be VACUUMM-ed nightly

Is this how people tend to do their vacuuming?  Does anyone do programmatic
vacuums instead of / in addition to a nightly run?  Is vacuuming mainly
necessary after big deletes, or are there other common situations
requiring it?

Joe Slag
Wagpaw, Inc.