Re: [GENERAL] Slashdot discussion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Slashdot discussion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, J.R. Belding wrote:
> > As I learned more about the advanced features PostgreSQL offered, I
> > became concerned that MySQL might not be desirable for my application.
> > But I shortly realized that while PostgreSQL includes support for
> > advanced functionality such as Transactions, Subselects, Views, etc.,
>
> transactions:
>
>   begin;
>   select <value> from table;
>   update <value> in table;
>   end;
   I  never considered transactions an advanced feature. It's in   the basics of every relational database, coming in
MySQL too   now.

   The  very first DB application I ever built for myself (using   PG 4.2 with a selfmade embedded PostQUEL
preprocessorfor  C)   needed them already.

   Might  have  an  impact  that  I used Siemens ISAM files with   LEASY (a transactional layer with before/after image
logging   capability   on   top   of  ISAM)  in  the  BS2000  mainframe   environment for years before starting that
project.
   Anyway,  I  think  the  first  thing  anybody  starting  with   databases MUST learn is the concept of transactions!
Howmany   people must be out in the world, considering themself an  SQL   DB  programmer,  who  learned  the  "basics"
usingpast MySQL   releases? Father forgive them, because they don't  know  what   they do!

Jan