Re: PostgreSQL capabilities - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: PostgreSQL capabilities
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 09:26:51AM -0500, Ed Loehr wrote:
> Hmmm.  My backup procedure, based on earlier discussions in this group,
> involves blocking all write-access during a pg_dump.  That is effectively
> shutting down the database from my perspective.  Is there a quicker way
> to take a consistent snapshot while still allowing writes?

You mean write commands fail during backup? I never tried doing this but
have some experience backing up a running Oracle system. Of course you
cannot allow writes to the data files itself during backup, but they
shouldn't fail IMO.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes