Re: config files in /data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: config files in /data
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Yes, seems user-editable files should go in pgsql/etc or pgsql/config.
>
> What?  That'd mean you couldn't have different files for different
> installations, which'd be a severe handicap (at least for developers
> who are pretty likely to have multiple installations on one machine).
> Putting the active copies under the data/ directory is good.

I didn't think of that.  Yes, I can see pgsql/data/config is better.

> Or did you really mean a new subdirectory like data/config/ ?
> I could live with that for new or reformatted config files.  As long as
> pg_hba.conf (for example) doesn't change meaning/layout I'd rather leave
> it where it is.

Seems we can just move it.  I really don't like people in /data, but
/data/config is OK.  Of course, this is just my opinion.  It just scares
me to have people doing edits in a directory with real tables.

I remember someone deleted pg_log last week because they thought it was
a log file.  It just seems we have a mess in /data with too many
different types of files:
PG_VERSION                      pg_logbase/                           pg_pwdpg_control
pg_pwd.reloadpg_database                    pg_shadowpg_geqo.sample                  pg_variablepg_group
       pg_xlog/pg_group_name_index             postmaster.optspg_group_sysid_index
postmaster.opts.defaultpg_hba.conf                    postmaster.pid

I myself am not totally sure of the use of all these.

Pennsylvania19026