understanding Datum -> char * -> Datum conversions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Louis-David Mitterrand
Subject understanding Datum -> char * -> Datum conversions
Date
Re: understanding Datum -> char * -> Datum conversions  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

I am learning to programm triggers in C by using the examples and the
programmer's manual but it's a steep learning curve for a mere perl
programmer ;-)

What I am trying to do for instance is:
- read a ::text colum with SPI_getbinval(),
- convert it to a char*,
- modify it,
- convert it back to a Datum,
- reinsert it into the tuple through SPI_modifytuple,

The conversions involve some pointer magic and casting that I really
don't grasp.

Also I am trying to read a timestamp with SPI_getbinval and get the
number of seconds contained. Using DatumGetInt32 doens't seem to do it.

Thanks in advance for your insight, cheers,

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - ldm@apartia.org - http://www.apartia.fr

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.