Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Since writing the above, I was called to attend a telecon with my
> > manager and the ITS managers from our two biggest customers to discuss
> > exactly this issue. The decision has been made to deploy the
> > PostgreSQL based server.  We all agreed that whatever happens to
> > Interbase, the personal commitment by the PostgreSQL folks is not
> > likely to dry up.  Hence the code will continue to improve over time.
> > I believe that they clearly understand how important reliability is to
> > a database server.
> >
> > There is a good chance that the Borland decision will have a
> > benificial ripple effect on PG as other engineers turn their attention
> > to Open Source alternatives.
> >
> > Wish us luck, we will load the new software on our customers' servers
> > for a FOT (field operational test) next week.
>
> Good luck, and keep us informed as to how things are going ... :)

Let me add we are planning a 7.0 release in the next few months that
improves reliability and adds new features.  You can actually try the
snapshot if you want to see how we are doing.  6.5.* is based in code
that solidified in June of 1999, which is ages ago in PostgreSQL time.

Pennsylvania19026