Re: Unclear EOL - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Unclear EOL
Date
Re: Unclear EOL  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-www
On 09/09/2018 18:01, Tom Lane wrote:
>> As for a specific suggestion, I would amend our current policy to state
>> that we support each major version for 5 years, with the last release of
>> a given major version being the planned minor release following the 5
>> year mark.
>
> Seems reasonable to me.  Maybe s/planned/scheduled/ for clarity.

So that would mean that if the EOL month is September and the next minor
release is scheduled for November, but we do an unplanned release in
October, we would then have to still support it until November?  Or if
we skip the November release, we have to keep going until February?

I think a bit of ambiguity is good here.  After the EOL month, you're on
your own.  We might do something afterwards for technical or bookkeeping
reasons or because we think it's important, but don't count on it.
Maybe in five years we'll be releasing a minor every three weeks, how do
we adjust the policy then?  Let's not over-specify this.