Re: libpq compression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: libpq compression
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 06/25/2018 05:32 AM, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

> On 18.06.2018 23:34, Robbie Harwood wrote:
>>
>> ###
>>
>> Documentation!  You're going to need it.  There needs to be enough
>> around for other people to implement the protocol (or if you prefer,
>> enough for us to debug the protocol as it exists).
>>
>> In conjunction with that, please add information on how to set up
>> compressed vs. uncompressed connections - similarly to how we've
>> documentation on setting up TLS connection (though presumably compressed
>> connection documentation will be shorter).
>>

> Document protocol changes needed for libpq compression.

This thread appears to have gone quiet. What concerns me is that there
appears to be substantial disagreement between the author and the
reviewers. Since the last thing was this new patch it should really have
been put back into "needs review" (my fault to some extent - I missed
that). So rather than return the patch with feedfack I'm going to set it
to "needs review" and move it to the next CF. However, if we can't
arrive at a consensus about the direction during the next CF it should
be returned with feedback.

cheers

andrew