Re: compatibilityissues from 7.1 to 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Barwick
Subject Re: compatibilityissues from 7.1 to 7.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:22:55 +0900, Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp> wrote:
> I seem to remember reading a post on this, but searching marc does not
> seem to bring it up immediately.
>
> Company BBS is on postgresql, but it's still at 7.1. The guy in charge
> of it wants some ballpark estimates and warnings about upgrading to 7.4
> so he doesn't have to worry about the recent vulnerabilities.
>
> War stories? Things to watch out for?

Off the top of my head: over-length data inserted into varchar fields
will no longer be silently truncated, raising an error instead ( a big
source of problems with web-based apps); also, the LIMIT x,y syntax
will no longer work.

Your best bet is fro someone who knows your system to go through the
PostgreSQL release notes.

Ian Barwick