Re: 8.3devel slower than 8.2 under read-only load - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Guillaume Smet
Subject Re: 8.3devel slower than 8.2 under read-only load
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Nov 24, 2007 5:50 PM, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> It would be nice to have infrastructure similar to the buldfarm running a
> standard set of benchmarks every day. It would be fascinating to see the
> graphs day-by-day of performance. Hopefully we wouldn't see too many dips and
> just a steady increase over time.

FYI, in addition to the 4 boxes donated to PostgreSQLFr (which will be
used for hosting purposes AFAIK), Continuent Inc. donated 7 servers to
Open Wide for PostgreSQL community usage. They will be hosted here at
Open Wide (Lyon, France) as soon as our new datacenter will be
available (we're a little short at rack space ATM; my target is to
have them setup at end of January).

My main goal for these servers is to set up a PostgreSQL benchmark lab
with automatic daily benchmarks, probably simple ones at the beginning
(various pgbench settings using one, two, three clients on one server
to get concurrency) but I hope we will be able to set up more
representative ones little by little. I can provide simple results by
myself but I'm sure Mark Wong's and others' experience will be highly
valuable to get more detailed results on a daily basis.

I won't have the time to setup something similar to the build farm but
really want us to have results soon so I'll set up something simple to
begin with and if someone has the time to build a bench farm thing,
I'll be happy to test it on these boxes and contribute. By the way, we
will grant access to these boxes to community people without any
problem.

I'll give more news on this ASAP.

--
Guillaume