Re: log_duration is redundant, no? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Guillaume Smet
Subject Re: log_duration is redundant, no?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I don't find this very persuasive --- it sounds awfully messy, and in
> fact isn't that exactly the old behavior we got rid of because no one
> could understand it?

I gave real use cases and we use it every day. It really helps us as a
PostgreSQL hosting company.

The fact is that no tool could really exploit this behaviour before. I
agree it's a totally useless information if you don't have a tool to
analyze the logs. This is no longer the case as pgFouine can extract
this information and make it useful by aggregating it.

Perhaps we could rename it to log_all_duration (my english is not that
good so I'm not sure it's a good name) and explain how it can be
useful in the documentation.

--
Guillaume