Re: How do I create a Backup Operator account ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: How do I create a Backup Operator account ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/30/19 12:58 AM, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 2:50 AM Marcos Aurelio Nobre
> <marconobre@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was wondering if it was possible to configure the pgAdmin4 menus to be available for a particular login, only
Backup& Restore items. But I'm not sure how to associate a bank login account with a specific menu setting of a client
tool.
> I think that hiding features from a GUI is a poor idea to protect your
> data (from what?).
> If you are talking of a single database (or a restricted set of), you
> can provide a role with the less privileges, like only SELECT and use
> such account to do the backup. But you need all the grants on another
> account to restore the backup.
>
> Anyway, I think you should rethink about your aim: what's the point of
> having a restricted user who can backup ALL the data?

Luca, it is common some large Enterprise environments to have Operations
staff that can run backups without being able to do anything else.  For
example, SQL Server has a per-database user mapping named db_backupoperator.