Re: 10+hrs vs 15min because of just one index - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Aaron Turner
Subject Re: 10+hrs vs 15min because of just one index
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 2/10/06, Matthew T. O'Connor <matthew@zeut.net> wrote:
> Aaron Turner wrote:
> > So I'm trying to figure out how to optimize my PG install (8.0.3) to
> > get better performance without dropping one of my indexes.
>
> What about something like this:
>
> begin;
> drop slow_index_name;
> update;
> create index slow_index_name;
> commit;
> vacuum;

Right.  That's exactly what I'm doing to get the update to occur in 15
minutes.  Unfortunately though, I'm basically at the point of every
time I insert/update into that table I have to drop the index which is
making my life very painful (having to de-dupe records in RAM in my
application is a lot faster but also more complicated/error prone).

Basically, I need some way to optimize PG so that I don't have to drop
that index every time.

Suggestions?

--
Aaron Turner