Re: [BUGS] BUG #14883: Syntax SQL error (42601), but should be adifferent error no - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stefan Hanenberg
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14883: Syntax SQL error (42601), but should be adifferent error no
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Am 31.10.2017 um 03:50 schrieb Tom Lane:
> More generally, there are a *lot* of ERRCODE_SYNTAX_ERROR calls in
> the backend that could arguably be changed to something more specific,
> even without inventing any new subcategories for the purpose.  If we were
> to decide that we're willing to make a compatibility break here, I'd
> rather see a patch that goes through all of them and changes what seems
> reasonable.  Better a big break than drip drip drip ...

I would be really happy if the error codes would reflect more on what
the error actually is -- at least for our automated tests, it turns out
to be quite complicated without directly using Postgres -- currently, we
have to use our own SQL parser in order to double check whether the
error is actually an syntac error or not.

Thanks for your reactions!

Best,
Stefan