Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 5/13/19 12:37 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2019-05-13 08:54:47 -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>>>
>>> This is relatively trivial compared to the rest and probably doesn't
>>> belong in a highlights list.
>
> +1
>

>> Why? This is incredibly helpful from a development standpoint; it
>> greatly expands the possibilities of the types of partition bounds that
>> can be utilized.
>
> You can say that about a lot of features. But we've limited space in the
> top items... It doesn't strike me as a enabling that many cases.

I've been bit by it when trying to create some partitions on my own, but
that's not a good enough reason when there are other things to highlight.

With grouping things together, it could be something that's mentioned in
passing -- it's not a bullet point on its own for sure. However, if the
feeling is to drop it completely, I can drop it completely --  I don't
feel strongly enough to argue for it.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment