Re: two memory-consuming postgres processes - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alexy Khrabrov
Subject Re: two memory-consuming postgres processes
Date
List pgsql-performance
On May 2, 2008, at 2:23 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 2 May 2008, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
>
>> I created several indices for the primary table, yes.
>
> That may be part of your problem.  All of the indexes all are being
> updated along with the main data in the row each time you touch a
> record. There's some optimization there in 8.3 but it doesn't make
> index overhead go away completely.  As mentioned already, the
> optimal solution to problems in this area is to adjust table
> normalization as much as feasible to limit what you're updating.

Was wondering about it, too -- intuitively I 'd like to say, "stop all
indexing" until the column is added, then say "reindex", is it
doable?  Or would it take longer anyways?  SInce I don't index on that
new column, I'd assume my old indices would do -- do they change
because of rows deletions/insertions, with the effective new rows
addresses?

Cheers,
Alexy