Re: On future conferences - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: On future conferences
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sep 25, 2006, at 5:39 AM, Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Sunday 24 September 2006 20:32, Jim Nasby wrote:
>>> Thus, one in Japan, one in central Canada, perhaps one in the
>>> western
>>> US, perhaps one or more in Europe and elsewhere, with the assumption
>>> of rather less heavy travel being involved than was the case for the
>>> "Anniversary" conference.
>>
>> One thing to consider is that such a format might make it more
>> difficult to get adequate sponsorship, since presumably it would cost
>> more to host a number of small conferences rather than one large one.
>> Likely sponsors would probably have to lay out more money outside of
>> the sponsorships as well, since they'd likely want to attend multiple
>> conferences.
>
> I don't think it's as big an issue as it might be. Look at Linux
> World, they
> have multiple shows running throughout the world and not just in
> the US.

And they have people willing to pay a lot of money both to attend and
to have booths. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if it
wasn't for the financial support of all the corporate sponsors, the
anniversary summit simply wouldn't have happened.

Hopefully at some point there will be enough commercial interest
around PostgreSQL that such sponsorship won't be required, but I
don't think we're there yet.
--
Jim Nasby                                    jimn@enterprisedb.com