Query string length - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ansley, Michael
Subject Query string length
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi, all

Right, it works.  Patches will arrive as soon as I figure out how to get cvs
to diff the whole lot into one patch.  I managed to get a 97kB query
through, where the normal max was 64kB.  I have to warn though, it munches
memory.  Disappearing at a rate of about 6MB a second, my paltry 64MB RAM
with 100MB swap looked alarmingly small.  Of course, if you're on a decent
server, this becomes less of an issue, but it doesn't go away.  Still, it's
better than being limited to 64kB.

The main issue seemed to be scan.l  I had to change myinput() to cope with
multiple calls, rather than assuming that flex would call it once only for
the entire query.  As a matter of interest, the code seems to think that lex
might still be used.  Is this the case, or can I remove the lex-specific
code, i.e.: we assume flex to be used ALWAYS.

MikeA

Science is the game we play with God to find out what his rules are.

[(LI)U]NIX IS user friendly; it's just picky about who its friends are.