psql & query string length - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ansley, Michael
Subject psql & query string length
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Well, I got psql to do it's thing, eventually.  I've tested it for pretty
much everything, including \e, \g, \r, \i.
The one problem that I have had is that after about the third '\i long.sql',
I get a core dump, because sprintf moaned about string size complications.
The way I have structured it, memory is reallocated (re- malloc'd, not
realloc'd) every time the query is extended.  I suspect that this is very
inefficient, and probably causing the system to hooch after loading long.sql
three times.  The main thought that I have had is to extend the query buffer
in blocks of about 8k or 16k.  I presume that once working with set memory
sizes, the memory usage will be substantially more efficient.  Ideas?

Also, what's the deal with realloc?  I tried it a couple of times, but it
really screwed me around (hence the re- malloc'ing).  Or is it just a Bad
Move to use realloc?

MikeA