RE: pgsql-general-digest V1 #365 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ansley, Michael
Subject RE: pgsql-general-digest V1 #365
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Jim Jennis wrote:
>>>  Not only legacy apps, but data warehousing. Frequently in a production
>>>  environment you use two sets of tables -- production and data
>>>  warehousing...One (production) with "bare bones" indicies to maximize
>>>  transaction performance, and one (a replicate in the data warehouse)
that
>>>  you "index the living daylights out of" so that the non db saavy
managers
>>>  who want to do ungodly joints and sorts on tables for organizational
>>>  reporting get decent performance.
I'm so pleased to find out that somebody else has picked this up.  In fact,
the summary tables that I'm working on are a kind of mini-warehouse, the
just happen to reside in the same tablespace as the transactional tables.
However, data warehousing is quite an important issue.  I know that most of
the people who use PG work on transactional systems, but if anyone tries to
run even a small warehouse on PG it's going to get complicated very quickly.

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Dustin Sallings wrote:
>>>      Creating lots of indices is far different from creating a single
>>>  index on a lot of fields.  Data warehousing is the former.  The problem
is
>>>  that you can't create a single index with a large number of fields.
Not entirely true.  Sometimes the level of summary can require more than
seven fields in an index, normally the primary index.

MikeA...