RE: pg_dump & blobs - editable dump? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Mount
Subject RE: pg_dump & blobs - editable dump?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Why not have it using something like tar, and the first file being stored in
ascii?

That way, you could extract easily the human readable SQL but still pipe the
blobs to stdout.

Peter

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support
Maidstone Borough Council
Any views stated are my own, and not those of Maidstone Borough Council

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Warner [mailto:pjw@rhyme.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 2:51 PM
To: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Cc: Pavel@Janik.cz
Subject: [HACKERS] pg_dump & blobs - editable dump?

I have been speaking to Pavel about pg_dump support of blobs, and he thinks
it is important to allow for some kind of human-readable version of the
dump to be created.

My guess is that this will involve a plain text schema dump, followed by
all BLOBs in separate files, and a script to load them. To implement this
I'll obviosly need to be passed a directory/file location for the script
since I can't pipe seperate files to stdout.

I'd be interested in knowing what features people think are important in
this kind of format; what do you need to do with the blob files, what do
peple want to edit, etc etc.

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
PGP key available upon request,  |  /