RE: Large strings - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Peter Mount
Subject RE: Large strings
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
The generic answer for storing anything larger than the page size is to
use large objects. Set the columns type to oid, and use the setBytes()
method to insert the strings. To retrieve, you can use either the
getBytes() or getBlob() methods.

Peter

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support
Maidstone Borough Council

-----Original Message-----
From: Nelson Ferreira Junior [mailto:nelson@radix.com.br]
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 9:10 PM
To: pgsql-interfaces@postgresql.org
Subject: [INTERFACES] Large strings

  Hi,
  I have a JDBC aplication that actualy works with Oracle and I am
porting it PostgreSQL. The trouble is that I have some rows with type
"LONG" (in Oracle) where are stored strings with up to 20Kb and
PostgreSQL doesn't hava this type and seems to be impossible to store
strings larger than 8Kb with the types "TEXT" or "VARCHAR".  What can I do ?!?!
                                                   thanks.