Re: [GENERAL] Index pg_proc_prosrc_index: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (1071)ISNOT THE SAME AS HEAP' (1070) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Index pg_proc_prosrc_index: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (1071)ISNOT THE SAME AS HEAP' (1070)
Date
List pgsql-general

> > > Do you mean to say the offending index will be auto-corrected on the fly?  That
> > > would be almost as good as preventing the root cause in the first place...
> >
> > No, it just reports the index name.  In 7.1, I think this problem will
> > go away, if not in 7.0.
>
> Is the problem well-understood?  Is there a place where I can read up on it?  This
> kind of instability is painful enough to get me thinking about trying to hack my
> distribution...

I believe it has to do with extra index tuples showing up in the index
that are not in the heap.  When the count's don't match, the problem is
reported.  I believe it only happens when the system crashes during an
index update.  I think it is harmless.  To fix it properly requires a
very sophisticated write-ahead log that is scheduled for 7.1 in about
six months.