Re: [INTERFACES] 8k limit - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Gene Selkov, Jr.
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] 8k limit
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> Next question is whats the max number of large
> objects you can store? I think its about 4 billion , am i wrong?

Don't know the exact theortical limit, but I believe it depends on the
capability of your file system, rather than pointer size and such,
because each lo is a file.

For example, my file system can have 1064960 files in it (one can find
that out with fsck), but the practical constraint will be much
lower. I find it difficult to deal with 30000 files in one directory,
for example. The time it takes to open a file in such directory is
usually on the order of seconds.

--Gene