book status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject book status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
OK, yesterday I signed contracts from Addison, Wesley, Longman for a
book on PostgreSQL.  I got approval from Marc, Thomas, Vadim, and Tom
Lane.  I also sent them a resume which was approved by the core group.

I have redesigned the outline because some of the chapters were too
long, and have written about 30 pages so far.  With the missing
chapters, it comes to 64 pages.  I am waiting for some text from the
publisher, just stating that the book is being written under contract
for them, and I will make the book available in PDF and HTML formats on
the web as soon as possible.

I plan to add the PostgreSQL manual pages as an appendix to the book.

Yes, I am being payed for the book, at some future date.  I realize
other developers are using PostgreSQL in their work or in consulting,
but this is a much more public involvement.  All I can say is that I
have always been ready to throw money into the PostgreSQL project, and
will continue to do so when possible.

Can't wait for everyone to see it.  Shouldn't be too long now.  I will
post when it is ready.

BTW, where do people want the PDF and HTML files?  My idea is to update
them every night.

FYI, I just cleaned up my PDF version.  Seems that ps2pdf requires me to
use Latin1 font encoding, or all my fonts in the PDF file are bitmapped
fonts and not spline/curved fonts.  This is mentioned in the ps2pdf
manual pages.  I just never realized the LyX's default encoding is ASCII
and not Latin1.

Bitmapped fonts don't matter if you print out the PDF, but if you view
it on the screen, Adobe Acrobat Reader showed the text looking terrible.
Ghostview was much better at rendering the bitmapped fonts, but I am
sure there are many people who want to view the PDF file with Acrobat,
so I have that fixed.  xpdf couldn't render the bitmapped fonts either.
I have switched to Palatino, and upgraded to Alladin Ghostscript
5.94beta, so the PDF problems people reported with the previous PDF
should be fixed now.

Pennsylvania19026