Historical post of Marc to support Postgres95 development - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From bruc@stone.congenomics.com (Robert E. Bruccoleri)
Subject Historical post of Marc to support Postgres95 development
Date
List pgsql-hackers
+----------------------------------+------------------------------------+
| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D.      | Phone: 609 737 6383                |
| President, Congenomics, Inc.     | Fax:   609 737 7528                |
| 114 W. Franklin Ave, Suite K1,10 | email: bruc@acm.org                |
| P.O. Box 314                     | URL:   http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| Pennington, NJ 08534             |                                    |
+----------------------------------+------------------------------------+
On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Chad Robinson wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Jolly Chen wrote:
>
> > I've posted a TODO list on the postgres95 web site
> > (http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres95/www/todo.html)
> > I've casually sorted the list by priority and I have some editorial
> > comments on some of them.
> >
> > If all the items on the TODO list were completed, postgres95 would be
> > much improved, and would really be a viable replacement for commercial
> > RDBMSs in some settings.   Some of the items require quite a bit of work
> > and deep knowledge of postgres95 internals, though.  We would need a few
> > contributors with quite a lot of volunteer hours to make this happen
> > anytime soon.  (A large number of contributors each with only a little
> > bit of time to contribute would not be equivalent)
>
> Some of these things were on my own list to do also.  I'd like to start
> working on some of them, but the thing is, I'd also like to see a better
> distribution form.  The last update was several months ago, even though
> there are several known `good' patches that need to be applied to fix
> various bugs.  What are we missing?  :-)  Do we need a maintainer?  We only
> have a 28.8 link right now (T1 in a few months) but I'd be happy to provide
> at least a basic FTP server with space, and some time to process patches,
> updates, and so forth.  I can at least be a mirror...

    If it helps, I'd be willing to setup a cvs database, including
appropriate accounts for a core few developers that patches can go through.
>From there, it wouldn't be too hard to do a weekly "distribution" that is
ftpable.

    I don't know enough about the server backend to offer much more
then that :(

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org