Why I am writing a book - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Why I am writing a book
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Why am I writing a book?

Well, when someone close to an open-source project considers a book deal
with a publisher, people have a right to ask.

Basically, I am not doing for the money.  If I was interested in only
money, I wouldn't have got involved with PostgreSQL years ago.

I am doing it because I think it will help PostgreSQL, I enjoy writing,
my wife and boss think it is a good idea, and because it will be neat to
get my name on a book.  Of course, I will get as many other names as
possible in there.  Marc, Thomas, Jolly Chen, Andrew Yu, and Stonebraker
are already mentioned in my first chapter.  There are many more pages to
go.

However, the book is going to take time, and because I work on 100%
commission, I must make up some of my lost wages while working on the
book.  A publisher allows me to do that.

I have talked to Marc, Thomas Lockhart, and Tom Lane today by telephone,
and they all said OK.  I haven't made any final decisions yet, but I am
getting close.  If people have concerns about this, I would like to hear
them.

To summarize, this book is a for first-time database users, so newbies
can get started with PostgreSQL.  It will have topics on our advanced
features, but it will be a compliment to our fine documentation Thomas
Lockhart has put together, not a replacement.