Re: [HACKERS] It's PR time! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martin Weinberg
Subject Re: [HACKERS] It's PR time!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote on Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:38:41 +0200
>(Perhaps the poster with the 60GB astronomical db
>from the other day could come forward?)

That was me . . . I'm on the 2MASS (Two Micron All Sky Survey)
Science Team.  This survey, now nearly 70% complete, has
amassed about 20TB of image data and from this we compile
catalogs of stellar and galaxian sources.  The star catalog
will contain about 500 million sources and be about 100GB
on disk in condensed form.

Our goals for pgsql is to recommend a local data server system
for astronomers who want to spin and query all or parts of
this catalog.

The URLs for the project are:
http://pegasus.astro.umass.eduhttp://www.ipac.caltech.edu/2mass

I am not the right person to head an "official" pgsql response,
but I'd be happy to help and "donote" additional info on our
applicaton.

--Martin

Martin Weinberg                      Phone: (413) 545-3821
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy       FAX:   (413) 545-2117/0648
530 Graduate Research Tower         weinberg@astro.umass.edu
University of Massachusetts         http://www.astro.umass.edu/~weinberg/
Amherst, MA  01003-4525