Re: [HACKERS] PG_UPGRADE status? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PG_UPGRADE status?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> 2.)    The first rpm's preinstall script starts running.  The old version
> of that rpm is still installed at this point, BUT I CAN'T EXECUTE ANY
> DAEMONS -- the upgrade MIGHT be running in the wicked chroot environment
> of the RedHat installer, with its restrictive set of commands.  So, I
> CANNOT start a postmaster, nor can I be assured that a postmaster is
> running -- according to RedHat, since it could be running in the chroot
> installer, I can't even run a ps to SEE if postmaster is running
> (problems with a chrooted /proc...).  Therefore, the preinstall script
> CANNOT execute pg_dumpall.  I can't even run a standalone backend --
> postmaster MIGHT be running.... And, I can't test to see if I'm running
> in the installer or not... ;-( The only thing I CAN do is check /tmp for
> the lock file.

This seems almost impossible to handle.  I have enough trouble wrinting
PostgreSQL C code when I have total control over the environment.

BTW, you can check for a running backend by trying to telnet to the 5432
port, or trying to do a connection to the unix domain socket.

Pennsylvania19026