Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow
List pgsql-hackers
> > > I'm not joking (though cost may be issue).
> > > First step is to define the route.
> > > So, who would like to participate in this project?
> > OK, let's get the box size and weight, and I will see what global
> > carriers can handle this.  Seems DHL may be a good choice, though they
> > seem to only do fast service.  Let's see who has a door-to-door low
> > cost/slow option that covers the globe.  Suggestions?
>
> The weight for the original box is low ~2lbs/1kg. We might want to put
> it inside another box full of peanuts, but the weight would stay low;
> say under 3kg. I'll help sponsor shipping in and out of Russia, and
> I'll bet DHL goes where you want. FedEx seems to have less coverage in
> some areas, but those may just be the ones I've run into like China.

That's a good weight.  The big problem is getting it _out_ of these
places.  Seems the shipments mostly have to be payed by the sender, so
it requires the people who have the award to pay shipping.  I would like
to see someone other than the sender pay, if possible, but if people
want to host the cost for their leg of the trip, all the better.  Cost
from USA to Krasnoyarsk for a 2 pound package is $80 via DHL.

> I think perhaps some other legs of the trip could be sponsored by the
> area reps? Perhaps we should have a period where folks can propose a
> visit, and if it coincides with a local event like a club meeting so
> much the better.

OK, we should probably start taking visit requests.  Any major
developers who want to host it for a while, speak up?  Certainly anyone
on the developers page is welcome.  We already have Thomas, me, Vadim,
Tatsuo, and Marc, in that order across the globe.  Or we can go Thomas,
Tatsuo, Vadim, me, and Marc, though this would mean it had not crossed
the USA.  In fact, we can each take a picture of it in our homes, and
make a web page of it.  (I can scan in any photos for those without
digital cameras.)  Now, that would be nifty.

> btw, I should be able to get a digital photo of the trophy soon, but
> have been swamped at work and am getting ready to leave for 10 days
> for vacation. So I may not be much help for a little while :( I hope
> that doesn't delay a world tour too long...

Consider your time with the award ticking.  :-)  You get to play with it
too.

I can imagine the trip taking several months to cross the globe, so
there is no rush.

Pennsylvania19026