Re: [HACKERS] A multi-lang patch for psql 6.5.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Robinson
Subject Re: [HACKERS] A multi-lang patch for psql 6.5.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>   First, please forget my English is very poor. So that, I made a patch
>> for support gettext function of GNU C Library to show other languages by
>> setting locale.
>>
>>   This is the first version that I hack PostgreSQL, and I had made only the
>> some files which ware put in src/bin, like psql, pg_*, ...etc. If you
>> patch this patch file, please re-compile your PostgreSQL again. And when
>> it done, you will get some .pot files, please read gettext via `info' utility
>> for getting more informations.
>
>First, the attached patch was zero length.  Second, I am not sure what
>this patch was supposed to do.  I am not sure we could distribute a
>patch for GNU C library as part of PostgreSQL.

I assume (from gettext usage in GNOME), that the patch will allow localization
of prompts, error messages, etc. in psql, etc.  This is a good thing.  As
for the licensing, the correct way to do this is a autoconf check for an
installed gettext library (steal it from GNOME).  That way, if someone has
gettext installed on their system, they can use it, and otherwise no one is
bothered.

In the long term, a BSD-licensed gettext clone would be ideal, but that's
a completely different issue.
-Michael Robinson