Port Bug Report: postgresql Won't Start - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Unprivileged user
Subject Port Bug Report: postgresql Won't Start
Date
List pgsql-ports
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name               : Joe Noble
Your email address      : joseph.a.noble@lmco.com

Category                : install: other
Severity                : non-critical

System Configuration
--------------------
  Operating System   : Linux RH 6.0

  PostgreSQL version : 6.5.1

  Compiler used      : none

Hardware:
---------
Acer 120MHx Aspire with 64MB memory and 2.1 GB HD.

Versions of other tools:
------------------------
N/A

Problem Description:
--------------------
After installing RH6.0, on a new harddisk, to replace RH5.2 which
replaced RH5.0, postgresql will not start.  This was not a problem
with either of the previous versions.  Apparently the expected
directories and file are not being created.  This problem appeared
when I installed RH6.0 which supposedely came with postgresql
6.4.2.  In an attempt to fix the problem, I deinstalld all the
6.4.2 files using rpm and tried to load the 6.5.1 Beta which I
downloaded from this site.  I received the same type of error
message.  The message says:

Starting postgresql service: /usr/bin/postmaster does not find the database system.  Expected to find it in the PGDATA
directory"/var/lib/pgsql", but unable to open file with pathname "/var/lib/pgsql/base/template1/pg_class".

No data directory -- can't proceed.
postmaster []

Test Case:
Try installing either 6.4.2 or 6.5.1 where there is no existing
database file from the rpms.

Solution:
---------
Include the necessary data directories and file(s)?