Re: [GENERAL] How to compile PosttgreSQL on NT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] How to compile PosttgreSQL on NT
Date
List pgsql-general
> It might be nice to say what and where the Andy Piper Tools are
> (http://www.xemacs.freeserve.co.uk/) and where the cygwin32 IPC package can
> be gotten (http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/)
>
> Also I didn't use the Piper tools or EGCS 1.1.2, and as far as I can tell,
> it is working (6.5)..

New version attached.

From: "Joost Kraaijeveld" <JKraaijeveld@askesis.nl>
To: "Pgsql-Ports@Postgresql. Org" <pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org>
Subject: RE: [PORTS] Re: psql under win32
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 07:07:47 +0200

Installing PostgreSQL on NT:

It can be done by done by typing configure, make and make install.

1. Install the Cygwin package
2. Update to EGCS 1.1.2
   (This may be optional.)

1. Install the Andy Piper Tools (http://www.xemacs.freeserve.co.uk/)
   (This may be optional.)

1. Download the Cygwin32 IPC Package by Ludovic LANGE
   (http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/
2. Untar the package and follow the readme instructions.
3. I tested 1.03.
4. I used the \cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\lib and
\cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\include\sys instead of the
/usr/local/lib and usr/local/include/sys.

1. Download the current version of PostgreSQL.
2. Untar the package.
3. Copy the files from \pgsql\src\win32 according to the readme file.
3. Edit \pgsql\src\template\cygwin32 if needed (I had to adjust the YFLAGS
path).
4. ./configure
5. make
6. create the directory /usr/local/pgsql manually: the mkdir cannot create a
directory 2 levels deep in one step.
7. make install
8. cd /usr/lical/pgsql/doc
9. make install
10. Set the environmental data
11. Initdb --username=jkr (do not run this command as administrator)

12. Open a new Cygwin command prompt
13. Start "ipc-deamon&" (background proces)
14. Start "postmaster -i 2>&1 > /tmp/postgres.log &" (background proces)
15. Start "tail -f /tmp/postgres.log" to see the messages

16. cd /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress
17. make all runtest

All test should be run, allthought the latest snapshot I tested (18-4)
appears to have some problems with locking.

Joost