Re: [SQL] Text type - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Frank Barknecht
Subject Re: [SQL] Text type
Date
List pgsql-sql
Jackson, DeJuan hat gesagt: // Jackson, DeJuan wrote:

> The current limit to a TEXT field is MAX_TUPLE_SIZE - TUPLE_OVERHEAD -
> ANY_OTHER_FIELD_SIZES_AND_OVERHEAD, which with no other fields in the
> table is just less than 8k.  But this can be increased at compile time.
> It's set to 8k because that tends to be optimal page size for most of
> the OS's that are supported.
>     -DEJ

My question to this is: What to do if I need a big text field on a not
recompiled (8k buffer size) postgresql server?

I am developing a www backend with perl-DBI that keeps track of a lot of
texts that can get longer than 8k. When inserting these they get cut off or
the query gives an error.

I consider changing to a large object type field instead but how can I
conveniently insert, change and search the text there?
(DBD::Pg does not have those nice lo_read() functions, just lo_import and
lo_export)

I think mine is a common problem. So I would be very happy if I could get
some tips on how to handle large chunks of text with postgres (and perl)

Thank you,
--
                                                     __    __
 Frank Barknecht           ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______