Re: [INTERFACES] Postgresql vs. Access97, TransferDatabase - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Postgresql vs. Access97, TransferDatabase
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 03:55:37PM -0500, Gilley, Charles H. wrote:
> Okay, to provide some helpful feedback to others.... I readily admit that
> I am still a novice at this, so feel free to chime in and correct any
> misunderstandings that I may have.
>
> First, I've been trying to transfer a large dataset from access to postgres
> using a variety of methods:

> 1) Cut and paste from access table to linked table:

Don't do this. It will run forever. Granted I never tried with postgres but
I tried with Oracle once some months ago and I'm pretty sure it will still
run hadn't I interrupted it. :-)

> 3) Export table - I believe this is the same as cutting/pasting except that
> it

No, it is not the same. It is way faster.

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Manager of the Western Branch Office, Datenrevision GmbH
work: Cuxhavener Str. 36, D-21149 Hamburg, Michael.Meskes@datenrevision.de