Re: moving from contrib to bin - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: moving from contrib to bin
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2014-12-12 11:42:57 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> And I don't know how well git cherry-pick will follow
>> the moves.

> Not well if the patch is done in master first.

FWIW, I always patch master first, and have zero intention of changing
that workflow.  (I have given reasons for that in the past, and don't
feel like repeating them right now.)  So I'm really not on board with
moving code around without *very* good reasons.  This thread hasn't
done very well at coming up with good reasons to move stuff out of
contrib.

In the particular case of pg_upgrade, while it may be now on par
usefulness-wise with src/bin stuff, I think it is and always will
be a special case anyway so far as packagers are concerned; the
reason being that it needs to ride along with back-branch executables.
So I'm not sure that we're making their lives easier by moving it.