IP data type/ip_and_mac/cidr - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject IP data type/ip_and_mac/cidr
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, how is the new IP type going?  I have this message
from July 20th saying you were going to try and merge the Vixie code and
the ip_and_mac code.  We would all like to have this as part of 6.4, if
possible.  I would like to move it out of contrib, and put into the main
backend.  I can help merge it into the main backend tree.

If it can't make the beta of September 1, perhaps we can slip it in
sometime soon after that.

I think the inclusion of this data type is very important for our users
and for increasing the usefulness of PostgreSQL.  Basically, this would
be a nice HOT item for 6.4.

     From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
     To: Paul A Vixie <vixie@vix.com>
     Subject: Re: [HACKERS] cidr
     Date: 20 Jul 1998 22:25:32 +0200

Paul A Vixie <vixie@vix.com> writes:

> i didn't realize that anybody else was working on an IP address
> data type or i'd've posted this six months ago when i first wrote
> it.  it lacks only the stuff needed to make it usable as a UNIQUE
> KEY.  it depends on BIND-8's libraries.

Interesting -- looks nice at first glance, and does some things that
neither Aleksei nor I had thought of.  I guess a merge of the three
variations is in order.  At least I'll be doing that locally, and will
make the result available.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"