Re: [GENERAL] postgresql website - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Martin
Subject Re: [GENERAL] postgresql website
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Oliver Mueschke wrote:
>
> > hi there,
> >
> > frankly i would say that the mirrored postgresql website is the best
> > reason to avoid postgresql. (i tested the german and the uk sites.) most
> > of the links don't work at all or show "interesting" error messages. all
> > this would be of minor interest if there was a way to access the main
> > (and working?) postgresql url.
>
>     Anything that requires "special server handling" is supposed to
> have a link back to the main server (ie. the third party page)....if you
> notice anything amiss, *please* let us know so that we can fix it.
>
>     I just fixed the third party link so that it points back to the
> main site...if there is anything else, please do let me know.

Lots of links don't seem to work for me either from the UK mirror.
I've gone to user_gallery (which seems to take me back to the
main site, then tried the links to register, info-central, download
and cd-distribution. All gave "document contains no data" errors.

This mirroring seems a real pain to me... Why can't there just be
a set of links to mirrors in different countries like most sites
have????

Andrew

p.s. While I'm griping... Who made the sudden decision to mirror the
mailing lists onto News groups. The increase in spam has been dramatic...
We discussed this a year, maybe 2, ago and decided quite clearly NOT
to have a news service. I recall no discussion on the lists this time.
My personal preference would be to have a news service running off
a single machine (news.postgresql.org) so it doesn't get propagated
around Usenet, but is available for people to read with news software
should they so wish.

Dr. Andrew C.R. Martin                             University College London
EMAIL: (Work) martin@biochem.ucl.ac.uk    (Home) andrew@stagleys.demon.co.uk
Tel:   (Work) +44(0)171 419 3890                    (Home) +44(0)1372 275775