RedHat 5.1 Postgres 6.3.2 problem resolved - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From De Clarke
Subject RedHat 5.1 Postgres 6.3.2 problem resolved
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The default RedHat install doesn't include pidentd, which
apparently is now required by PG (?).  When I install the
RPM for pidentd, I get past the "unrecognized authentication"
problem.

But I still have a configuration problem of some kind:
I cannot connect to the postmaster.

86) musashi.ucolick.org.postgres: psql -d template1
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running and accepting TCP/IP(with -i) connections at 'localhost' on port '5432'?

87) musashi.ucolick.org.postgres: telnet localhost 5432
Trying 127.0.0.1...
88) musashi.ucolick.org.postgres:

I can connect to other services on localhost (the usual inetd stuff).

This feels like a slight Linux misconfig problem.... has anyone else
been here?

de