Re: [ANNOUNCE] USENET vs Mailing Lists Poll ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] USENET vs Mailing Lists Poll ...
Date
List pgsql-general
barbara@bookpro.com writes:
> On 30 Nov 2004 22:55:00 GMT, Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Trying to sway the vote?

> There has been no CFV.  During an RFD, he's completely entitled to try
> to persuade others people to vote yes or no when the time comes.

Both of you are under the illusion that this was a Usenet discussion.
Marc was asking the members of *a mailing list* whether they'd consider
moving over to a Usenet group as a substitute.  By my count the vote so
far was 99% "no way", so you should stop supposing that the core list
membership cares about Usenet.  We could care less, and the more we hear
from the likes of gburnore the more we are inclined to install a solid
firewall between us and you.

There are however a fair number of people who prefer to use newsreader
interfaces to read the PG discussions, and for their sakes I'd like to
find an amicable solution.  As someone who retired from newsadmin'ing
a dozen years ago, I'm not about to defend the rogue
comp.databases.postgresql groups --- that was poorly done from the
start.  But can't we fix it and move on?

> Bill, is it possible for you to drop the combative tone?  It's not
> that helpful to constantly raise the temperature of the discussion.

Indeed.

            regards, tom lane