Re: [HACKERS] WITH clause in CREATE STATISTICS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] WITH clause in CREATE STATISTICS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm prepared to create a fix for that, but it'd be easier to commit the
>> current patch first, to avoid merge conflicts.

> It seems we're mostly in agreement regarding the parts I was touching.
> Do you want to push your version of the patch?

It's still almost all your work, so I figured you should push it.

>> Hm.  OK, but then that example is pretty misleading, because it leads
>> the reader to suppose that the planner can tell the difference between
>> the selectivities of the two queries.  Maybe what's lacking is an
>> explanation of how you'd use this statistics type.

> I think we should remove the complex example from that page, and instead
> refer the reader to chapters 14 and 69.

Seems reasonable.  If we did add enough material there to be a standalone
description, it would be duplicative probably.  However, that does put
the onus on the other chapters to offer a complete definition, rather
than leaving details to the man page as we do in many other cases.