Re: Re: Good name for new lock type for VACUUM? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: Good name for new lock type for VACUUM?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Swan <tswan@olemiss.edu> writes:
> I think that type of lock would best be kept to the system level.

Why?

I don't have a scenario offhand where it'd be useful, but if we've
discovered it's useful for VACUUM then there may be cases where a lock
with these properties would be useful to users as well.  Besides, we
have several lock types that are exposed to users even though we've
found no uses for them at the system level.

> Is it going to timeout?  If a connection is dropped by a user, will the
> lock release?

No, and yes, same as any other lock.