Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jussi Mikkola
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

Ok, I think the original question was that does EDB get too much visibility versus other contributors, because they
happento work on the installer and their logo is seen there. Is that too much compared to people/companies that work on
somethingelse that is not so visible. For example parallel restore.

Now, in my opinion the approach has been that should EDB visibility be reduced so that it is on the same level that
othersare. But, as I see it, there are two separate issues. One is, that is EDB visibility fair compared to others, and
theother point is that how much that visibility should be.

Sofar, it seems that people have the idea that commercial support is bad and that we should limit the visibility of
companieson PostgreSQL website or sites related to it. In my opinion there is also another possibility, to increase the
visibilityof others. Isn't it good for the community, if there are many companies working on PostgreSQL? If that is
good,then why don't we show that? And if we get more companies involved by showing that they have done something for
theproject, isn't that a good thing?

Now, the installer is visible. What if we would give there credit to more companies that have helped the project,
ratherthan removing any? And, yes, if the commercial alternative costs x k€, I think you can look 10 secs of adds when
installingan open source one.

Rgs,

Jussi