Re: Practical impediment to supporting multiple SSL libraries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Practical impediment to supporting multiple SSL libraries
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Right. Would you see value in a more formal libpq "hijack-me" interface
> that would support making the initial connection and then handing off
> the rest to something else?

I think this would just be busywork... the way ODBC is doing it seems
fine to me.  In any case, do we really want to encourage random apps to
bypass the library?  For one thing, with an API such as you suggest,
it would really be libpq's problem to figure out what to do with regular
vs passthrough calls.  As it stands, it's very obviously not libpq's
problem anymore once you hijack the socket.