Re: [NOVICE] General Performance questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [NOVICE] General Performance questions
Date
List pgsql-general
Lonni J Friedman <lfriedman@vasoftware.com> writes:
> Well, it was over a year ago.  basically what happened was that whenever i
> set the value to be anything greater than 32, postmaster failed to start.

Failed to start with what error message, exactly?  It sounds to me like
you are describing a problem with unreasonably low kernel parameters,
not with Postgres.  (In particular I'd wonder what SEMMAX is on your
system, though I suppose SHMMAX might be the issue too.  See the Admin
Guide concerning care and feeding of kernel parameters.)

> bring it back down to a value less than or equal to 32, and it started up
> fine.  after recompiling postgresql with a hardcoded value of 64, then i
> was able to increase it in postgresql.conf.

Hardcoded value of what?

            regards, tom lane