Re: Custom timestamp format in logs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Custom timestamp format in logs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> This week, we heard about a user willing to use a custom timestamp
>> format across a set of services to improve the debugability of the
>> whole set, Postgres being one of them. Unfortunately datestyle does
>> not take into account the logs. Would it be worth adding a new GUC
>> able to control the timestamp format in the logs?

> A separate GUC seems kind of weird. Wouldn't it be better with something
> like %(format)t or such in the log_line_prefix itself in that case? That
> could also be expanded to other parameters, should we need them?

TBH, my answer to the rhetorical question is "no".  There is nothing
weird about the timestamps %t emits now, and no reason why they should
need to be configurable, except that somebody thinks it's easier to
lobby us to complicate our software than to fix whatever they have that
can't consume standard timestamp format.