Re: pg_upgrade's exec_prog() coding improvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_upgrade's exec_prog() coding improvement
Date
Re: pg_upgrade's exec_prog() coding improvement
List pgsql-hackers
> On 23.08.2012 23:07, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> One problem with this is that I get this warning:
>> /pgsql/source/HEAD/contrib/pg_upgrade/exec.c: In function ‘s_exec_prog’:
>> /pgsql/source/HEAD/contrib/pg_upgrade/exec.c:96:2: warning: function might be possible candidate for ‘gnu_printf’
formatattribute [-Wmissing-format-attribute]

>> /pgsql/source/HEAD/contrib/pg_upgrade/exec.c:96:2: warning: function might be possible candidate for ‘gnu_printf’
formatattribute [-Wmissing-format-attribute]

>> I have no idea how to silence that.  Ideas?

> You can do what the warning suggests, and tell the compiler that
> exec_prog takes printf-like arguments.

exec_prog already has such decoration, and Alvaro's patch doesn't remove
it.  So the question is, exactly what the heck does that warning mean?