Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> This is just nonsense. There is not the slightest reason that CSV data
> cannot be embedded in a text dump nor exist as the data members of a
> custom or tar dump with the corresponding COPY statements modified
> accordingly.

Well, the really *core* question here is whether we trust the stability
of the CSV format definition (and code) enough to want to rely on it for
data dump/restore purposes.  I'm still a few years away from that,
myself.  AFAICT the raison d'etre of the CSV code is "emit whatever it
takes to satisfy this, that, and the other broken Microsoft application".
That's fine as an export tool, but as a dump/reload tool, nyet.  If you
put it in pg_dump you're just handing neophytes another foot-gun.