Re: BUG #1050: cannot restore db at postgresql 7.4.1 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #1050: cannot restore db at postgresql 7.4.1
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org> writes:
> The release notes of 7.4 saids:
>  COPY now can process files that use carriage-return or
>  carriage-return/line-feed end-of-line sequences. Literal carriage-returns
>  and line-feeds are no longer accepted in data values; use \r and \n instead.

> I think this is bug and pg_dump/pg_restore should
> be fixed to keep with this modification.

This was a deliberate change and will not be undone, even though it does
create compatibility issues with dumps from very old PG versions.
The best workaround I know of for dumping from such an old server is to
use the "dump as INSERT commands" option.

            regards, tom lane