Re: Running multiple instances off one set of binaries - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Running multiple instances off one set of binaries
Date
List pgsql-general
Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net> wrote:
>> Am I correct in that I can do this by simply initdb-ing the second instance
>> with a different data directory structure, and when starting it do so with a
>> different data directory structure?

> You are correct.

You also need a separate port number for the second instance (obviously,
only one of them can have 5432).  Another point is that you may have to
twiddle the kernel's shmem settings to make enough shared memory
available for both installations.  But people do this all the time.

            regards, tom lane